Sausage Bean and Escarole Soup
No preservatives or chemicals here… This recipe can be frozen in a large freezer safe container or individual containers inside a freezer bag for on the go lunches for work or a quick reheat after a long day.
3 pounds ground Italian sausage (casings removed)
I used 2 pounds sweet & 1 pound hot
1 large Vidalia onion, chopped
4 large carrots, chopped
2 Tbs minced garlic
3 Tbs of dried Italian seasoning
2 quarts (two 32oz boxes) no salt or low sodium chicken stock
2 15oz cans of any beans you like – I used one can of red kidney & one can of white cannellini beans
2 medium heads of escarole I used escarole instead of kale because it maintains color and texture more than kale in both the cooking and freezing process. You can sub kale, collared greens, mustard greens, rainbow chard, or even a bok choy though. cut into large slices
1) Brown sausage on med high heat in a large heavy pot about 15 mins. Add onion & carrots cook another 10 mins.
2) Add garlic and Italian seasoning
3) Add beans: 1 can drained, and 1 can entirely
4) Add chicken stock and if needed, add some water to just cover everything
5) Bring to a simmer (not boil) on med low heat covered for 15 mins.
6) Uncover, add escarole and let simmer uncovered for additional 10 mins.
7) Salt & pepper to taste
8) Serve with grated parmesan